This morning I ask myself if I want to ride my Xootr scooter at all, from Peck Road Park to Fletcher Park. It’s hot, supposed to be in mid 90’s in the afternoon. Fires burning east of Sierra Madre, in Azusa, have filled the air with smoky haze. We’re shut down in the midst of the Covid-19 quarantine.
And me… here I am, 80, with stiff knees as I get out of bed, a little back pain, and I have to lean against the wall as I get dressed so as not to fall down.
What’s the sense of it?
I decided I should make the ride anyway, it’ll be good for me. The heat? I went first thing in the morning. The smoke? I chose a trail south from home, not so close to the fires.
Plus, riding the Xootr scooter happens to provide a brief time when everything works right. No back pain. No leg pain. No foot pain. The plantar fasciitis right heel pain that’d cramped my style for three months starting in January is completely resolved thanks to better fitting shoes. Merrell Jungle Mocs.
Just go, and whir along the beautifully paved path from Peck Road Park in Arcadia, CA, down the Rio Hondo Trail to Fletcher Park in El Monte, just south of the El Monte Busway terminal. 6.2 miles RT. Average speed: 7.1 mph.
I’m a lucky guy to have everything working well enough to do this
Yes, it’s warm, but no problem with a bottle of water in the side pocket of my cargo shorts. I see the usual scatter of homeless people along the trail, some with their dogs, a few families walking with their kids, bicyclists of all ages including a dad on his bike and his son on training wheels…. first time I’ve ever kick scooted past anyone on bicycles, I tell them!
And upon my return to the parking lot at Peck Road Park, I have a wonderful sense of well- being, for having acted in the arena of life today, with the promise of more rides to come.
As we get older, it gets tempting to think no, I don’t feel like it today. However, if you think no today, and tomorrow, and enough days: then you can forget about whatever it was you were thinking about doing. So do it. Stay alive. Celebrate the joy of life while you can. Like on a Xootr Mg kick scooter!
Thank you for joining us
We would like to thank you for joining us, and reading this post. Let us know if you enjoyed this post in the comments section below.
Check these other great featured posts by Jonathan Kelley:
- Scooting For Exercise, Use It or Lose It!
- Senior Scooter Ride, Judgement Error
- Compulsive Seniors On Scooters by Jonathan Kelley
- Seniors… Get Hip to Kick Scooters
- Scooter Rides Along Two Rivers In California
- Xootr Scooter Ride From Grant Rea Park
- Xootr Scooter Ride From Treasure Island Park
- Scooters, Mr Kelley, And The Spiral Garden
- The Los Angeles River Bicycle Path
- Tackling Riverside Drive With A Xootr Scooter
- Riverfront Park, A Xootr, And A Bit Of History
- Anson Ford Park, A Xootr Scooter, And Costumes
- Ramona Boulevard to Thienes Avenue, El Monte
- Waiting Room, Life, And A Xootr Scooter
- Circle Park, Downey, to Somerset Blvd, Compton
Don’t forget to check out Jonathan’s website at JonathanKelley.net.